Friday, October 2, 2009

Getting The Referral

While cleaning up the office the other day came across a slip of information gathered in my early business days. The slip provided information/tips on getting referrals. In fact I had headed it as "Ask for the referral scripts." Thought it might be useful to share so here goes.

Remember, you are not making an Oscar acceptance speech here. When you ask for a referral, be sincere and direct, Say something such as:

"I'm really glad that you're pleased with my work. I'd really appreciate it if you would pass my name along to anyone else you know who would be interested in..............(what you do). May I leave these extra business cards with you?"

Leaving extra business cards with a person makes it easier for them to pass your name and contact information to someone else.

Another variation on the script is even more direct and asks for names when you are asking for referrals. For instance, you might say:

"I'm really glad that you are pleased with my work. I'm always looking for referrals and wonder if you know anyone else who might be interested in........(what you do)."

Pause here and see what they say. Some people will offer some names. Some will say "Yes, maybe," and not offer any further information. Some will say, "No" but at least you tried.

If they do offer names, take them down and ask the person if they mind If you contact the person directly or if they would prefer to pass your information along to them yourself. If they don't offer names, just as in the previous script, ask if you can leave some additional cards with them that they can pass along.

Bottom line is you never get if you never ask. So get out there and start asking. This is not the time nor economy to be hiding your light under a barrell.

No comments:

Post a Comment