Sunday, August 23, 2009

Through A Child's Eyes

I must admit it has been a few years since I visited that event often identified as the grand old lady by the lake. AKA the CNE. Not sure exactly why that is as it seems to be the thing to do for those who live in the GTA.

Perhaps it is because I am older and the thought of going on a lot of rides does not stimulate me to action. Perhaps it is because I have become somewhat jaded in my opinion of the odds of winning at any of the carnival games. Perhaps it is because the vendors at the Direct Energy Centre seem to be selling things I either don't want, don't need or can't afford.

Anyway, this year was different for me. My son and 3 1/2 year old grandson were down from Barrie. So, we decided it would be nice to take him to the CNE.

Well, what an experience. To see all the CNE has to offer through a fresh set of eyes. Everything was exciting to him, from the animals in the farm area to the games of chance to the interactive areas and rides in the children's area.

Truly this gave me a new view of something that had become quite bland. Another, same old same old, kind of event.

This got me to thinking about how many of us have taken that same approach with many other areas and events in our life. When was the last time that something was new and exciting to you? Perhaps it is because you know exactly what to expect and as long as that is there you are happy. Perhaps that is because you are looking for certain aspects of an event and as a result overlook other aspects. I would be the first to acknowledge that kind of bias in many areas of my life.

So what do we do about it. Well,perhaps the best thing we could all do is to start to look at our life events and activities as a child would. What would they see if they were experiencing this.

Who knows, out of that observation we may find the secret to greater happiness.

Who knows, out of that observation we may find the key to that problem that has been so hard to solve.

Who knows, out of that observation we may suddenly realize that we have a pretty darn exciting and good life all things considered.

No comments:

Post a Comment